Savory Croissant French Toast: Quick and Easy!
Sometimes a sweet breakfast isn’t what you want. Personally, I’ll take savory over sweet any day of the week, so I came up with this delicious twist on a classic breakfast dish.
Savory croissant french toast.
It’s perfect for special occasions or a lazy weekend brunch with the whole family. Even better? It’s quick enough to make on a weekday morning while you’re wrangling all the things.
Made with buttery croissants, a slightly spicy custard mixture, and fresh parmesan, this croissant French toast recipe is sure to become your new favorite breakfast dish.
In this blog post, I’ll share a simple recipe for croissant French toast that’s easy to make, even on a busy weekday morning.
Pin for later!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy. Thanks for supporting Bloom in the Black!
Ingredients for Savory Croissant French Toast
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Dried oregano
- Garlic powder
- Grated parmesan
Now, you can use regular croissants, but I highly recommend trying to get your hands on this loaf of croissant toast. The surface area allows more of the egg mixture to soak into the bread and promotes more even browning. I get mine from Whole Foods.
For weekdays, I make just one slice. I prepare the egg mixture and pop my croissant into the dish to soak while I hurry around getting the kids ready for school, flipping every so often, then fry it up after I get them on the bus.
The amount of time you allow it to sit is super flexible so it’s ready to go when you are. You don’t have to babysit it.
Croissant French toast is the perfect way to elevate your regular French toast recipe as a treat for yourself or to impress your guests.
This easy recipe can be made ahead and stored in an air-tight container or freezer-safe bag for an on-the-go breakfast. Whether you’re using stale croissants, bakery croissants, or my recommended croissant toast, this croissant French toast recipe will become your new go-to breakfast!
Savory Croissant French Toast
This savory croissant french toast is a slightly spicy take on a breakfast classic.
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of whole milk
- A pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- A sprinkle of garlic powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 slice of croissant toast
- 2 tsp butter (about a pat)
- Grated parmesan (optional)
- Add the first 6 ingredient to a shallow dish and mix well with a fork
- Place the croissant toast in the egg mixture to soak for 15 minutes, flipping occasionally, until most of the mixture has soaked into the bread
- Heat butter in a small nonstick pan over medium heat until melted
- Place the soaked bread into the pan, pouring any remaining egg mixture carefully on top
- Cook 3 minutes per side or until the french toast is deep golden brown and cooked through
- Served warm topped with grated parmesan if desired
This recipe is highly flexible. You can make one serving as written or easily scale the ingredients up to make a big batch.
To make this into a casserole:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- Increase the ingredients x8 and soak everything in a buttered baking dish
- Bake the croissant French toast for 35-40 minutes, until the custard mixture is set and the top is golden brown
- Rest the croissant French toast for 10 minutes before serving
For a sweet version, make your egg mixture with whole milk, heavy whipping cream, egg, vanilla extract, brown sugar, cinnamon sugar, and orange zest, then top with pecans, warm syrup, whipped cream, and fresh berries.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Want more easy recipes like this? Check out my full collection of simple family favorites.