These crumbly, salty, savory, Smoky Cheddar Crackers are a classic family recipe.
Growing up, I remember these homemade crackers being a staple at every holiday gathering — and me stalking the appetizer table, scarfing down more than my fair share! They’re just sooooo darn good. All the women in my family who’ve made these cheese crackers over the years have put their own unique spin on the recipe, and this is mine!
In this post, I’ll show you how to make smoky cheddar crackers — an easy holiday appetizer that can be made ahead!
Pin for later!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy. Thanks for supporting Bloom in the Black!
In this recipe, you’ll be grating a lot of cheese, so I highly recommend this affordable rotary cheese grater that I bought on Amazon. You can grate a whole block of cheese in under 15 seconds!
These cheese crackers come together quickly using just a few simple ingredients. Now, they do use a whole stick of butter and 2 full cups of cheese, so I can’t claim these are health food. But they’re a worthwhile indulgence with a glass of wine at a Christmas party 🙂
They’re also INCREDIBLE paired with my homemade tomato soup. Yum.
The best part about these cheese crackers is that you can make the dough ahead of time and store it in the freezer until you’re ready to bake and serve! Just take the dough out of the freezer while you preheat the oven. After 10 minutes on the counter, they’ll be the perfect firmness for slicing cleanly.
Shop items from this post On Amazon
You can also customize this recipe with your favorite cheeses and seasonings. Here are a few ideas:
- Parmesan, fontina, and oregano
- White cheddar and cayenne pepper
- Manchego and sage
Serve these cheddar cheese crackers on a small olive wood serving board with a sprig of rosemary for beautiful and easy plating.
You could serve these as part of a larger charcuterie tray on a serving board you can DIY yourself. It’s such an easy project and makes for an incredible presentation.
- 1 cup freshly shredded smoked cheddar
- 1 cup freshly shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 stick of room temperature butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix room-temperature butter in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment
- Add cheese and beat until combined
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl
- Split dough in half and roll each half into a 1" diameter log
- Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Slice dough into 1/4" thick discs and place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Bake for 23 minutes
- Allow to cool to room temperature for the best texture and flavor
- These crackers are amazing with a glass of juicy shiraz.
- Serve with a side of jam or apple slices for a sweet/savory combo.
- Use the best quality cheese you can get your hands on.
- Keep one of the dough logs in your freezer for last-minute entertaining!
- Store in an air-tight container for up to a week.
- Make this recipe your own by swapping in your favorite cheese and herbs!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Olive Wood Cutting Board/Cheese Boards Charcuterie Boards/Wood Serving Board/Cutting Board Wood/Wood Cutting Boards For Kitchen/personalized cutting board/Round/large Charcuterie Board
- 200 Pcs Unbleached Parchment Paper Baking Sheets, 12 x 16 Inch, Precut Non-Stick Parchment Sheets for Baking, Cooking, Grilling, Air Fryer and Steaming - Unbleached, Fit for Half Sheet Pans
- Geedel Rotary Cheese Grater, Kitchen Mandoline Vegetable Slicer with 3 Interchangeable Blades, Easy to Clean Rotary Grater Slicer for Fruit, Vegetables, Nuts