When summer finally comes, I grill A LOT. And one of my favorite things to grill is steak.
I have tons of different methods and marinades that I love for a good steak, but this one is hands down my favorite.
Read on to learn how to make the best grilled steak you will ever eat.
Pin for later!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy. Thanks for supporting Bloom in the Black!
This marinade is:
- quick (you only need 30 minutes for the steak to marinate),
- super easy (simple ingredients you probably already have on hand),
- delicious (duh),
- and goes with so many different sides.
Mix all of the marinade ingredients with the steak in a large glass dish and allow to marinate on the counter for 30 minutes, flipping occasionally.
By allowing it to marinate at room temperate, the marinade will penetrate more quickly, and the steak itself will cook more evenly.
Never cook a steak direct from the refrigerator! It will be overcooked on the outside and raw in the middle.
I highly recommend using skirt steak for this recipe. It’s an incredibly flavorful, fairly affordable cut and lends itself well to grilling.
Skirt steak is a relatively large cut, and the thickness can vary considerably. For a 1-inch thick steak, I grill over medium-high direct heat for 4 minutes per side for medium to medium-rare.
Once the steak is off the grill, let it sit for 10 minutes so all the juices can redistribute. Otherwise, they’ll all run out at soon as you cut into it, resulting in a dry steak.
And remember, for a tender bite, always cut against the grain!
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Juice of half a lemon
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 lbs skirt steak
- Mix all ingredients through skirt steak in a shallow baking dish
- Add skirt steak and let marinate for 30 minutes
- Grill steak over medium-high direct heat for 4 minutes per side for medium to medium-rare, depending on the thickness of your cut
- Let rest for 10 minutes
- Slice against the grain and serve!