Since Cinco de Mayo is only two days away I HAD to share this amazing taco recipe with you.
When I first told my family I was making tofu for dinner, you could see the abject horror in their eyes. “Tofu???” they shrieked, “Gross!”
Nope. Not the way I make it. A lot of people are surprised to hear I actually like tofu because I’m a die-hard meat-eater. But tofu, made properly, is delicious!
Plus? Tofu is an incredibly affordable protein source. When you’re feeding a family, affordability is important. That’s why I started making my own energy balls as a substitute for those expensive protein bars.
In this post, I’ll teach you to make the most delicious crispy tofu tacos, that are perfect for Taco Tuesday, Meatless Monday, and will make even the pickiest eater ask for seconds.
Like it? Pin it!
How to Make Crispy Tofu Tacos
To make the crispy tofu, simply drain a block of extra-firm tofu and cut into 1/2″ cubes, then toss with cornstarch and spices. Fry the coated cubes in canola oil until crisp then drain on a paper towel. Finally, pile the crispy tofu into warm corn tortillas and add your favorite taco toppings.
Before you even start the recipe you’ll need to drain your tofu. Why? Because undrained tofu can get mushy when you cook it.
That’s not how we win the hearts and minds of tofu non-enthusiasts.
For the best texture, you need to get as much water out of the tofu as possible. To drain the tofu, you simply place the block onto a plate lined with paper towels, place another paper towel on top of the tofu block, a plate on top of that, then weigh the whole thing down with something heavy, like a can of vegetables. Let the whole stack sit like that for 20 minutes.
Next, dice your drained tofu into 1/2″ cubes and toss in a mixture of cornstarch, garlic powder, salt, chili powder, and cumin.
Fry tofu in batches until crisp, taking care not to crowd the pan. Otherwise, your crispy tofu will steam and become mushy. See a theme forming? Let’s avoid mushy tofu.
Drain the tofu on paper towels and sprinkle with salt if desired.
Warm your corn tortillas, pile with crispy tofu and your favorite taco toppings then dig in!
Want more easy recipes like this? Check out my full collection of simple family favorites.
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 12 corn tortillas (taco sized)
- Toppings (see note for ideas)
- Wrap tofu in paper towels and drain for 20 minutes under a weighted plate.
- Meanwhile, mix cornstarch, salt, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin together in a large bowl. Prep the toppings of your choice.
- Dice the drained block of tofu into 1/2" cubes then toss in the cornstarch mixture until thoroughly coated.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, then pan-fry the tofu in two batches. Fry, turning occasionally until crisp, about 5 minutes per batch. Take care not to overcrowd the pan or the tofu will steam.
- Drain the crispy tofu on a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with more salt if desired.
- Heat corn tortillas for 15 seconds in the microwave, in skillet, or grill pan until warm and pliable.
- Fill warm tortillas with crispy tofu and your choice of toppings.
Toppings ideas: scallions, cilantro, avocado, radish, shredded cabbage or lettuce, cheese, salsa, sour cream, pico de gallo
My favorite topping combo is avocado, thinly sliced radish, scallions, and cilantro. My husband prefers salsa, cheese, shredded lettuce, and sour cream. These are endlessly customizable so it's fun to set out a bunch of toppings and let everyone serve themselves.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.